Puttenahalli Neighbourhood Lake Improvement Trust (PNLIT) is trying to raise money for the recently revived Puttenahalli Lake through the Mahindra Spark the Rise competitive funding. The entry "PNLIT – Nurturing Puttenahalli Lake back to its pristine glory" is to serve as a template for reviving lakes with active public participation.
Your support in the December preliminary round of voting, helped Puttenahalli Lake win a grant of Rs 4 lakh from Spark the Rise. Now a large amount of additional funding is at stake in the Grand Finale of Spark the Rise. Voting for the finale is from 2nd to 15th April 2012.
- Puttenahalli Lake, like the other two lakes in JP Nagar was dying till a few residents campaigned to save it.
- In 2010, the BBMP began restoring the 13-acre water body that lies between Brigade Millennium and L&T South City.
- In May 2011, the BBMP handed over the lake to PNLIT for nurturing for 3 years.
- This Puttenahalli Lake is sometimes confused with the significantly bigger Jarganahalli Lake near Elita Promenade (that is also called Sarakki Lake/ Puttenahalli Lake) and the Yelahanka Puttenahalli Lake.
- Namma Bengaluru’s first citizen caretakers of a lake!
- Is instrumental in giving a new lease of life to a lake; a home to over 50 species of birds in an around the lake!
- More information at http://www.puttenahallilake.in/
- Your vote can help win funds for the lake.
There are 4 prizes: Rs 40 lakh (1), Rs 20 lakh (3)
Why does PNLIT need funds?
- PNLIT has been officially handed over Puttenahalli Lake for nurturing, for a period of 3 years (May 2011-2014).
- While the restoration of the lake was done by the BBMP, PNLIT receives no government funding. The day-to-day expenses of the lake are being met primarily through individual donations.
- Apart from the routine expenses, PNLIT has some investment requirements and ideas to improve the level and quality of the water of this rain-fed lake, make it a secure bird habitat and an enjoyable Public Open Space, through citizen participation.
- PNLIT has other eco-initiatives – promotion of cloth bags, waste management, nature walks and other programmes for the improvement of environmental sensitivity.
- The aim is to make the Puttenahalli Lake Model replicable at other lakes and Public Open Spaces.
When to vote?
- 2nd April – 15th April 2012
How to vote?
- To vote by SMS (from India mobile number)
SMS "MHRISE P07" to 54646
- To vote online
Click on our project – "PNLIT – Nurturing Puttenahalli Lake back to its pristine glory" to go to our project page
Click on the "Vote" button and follow the instructions online