Join the Begur Environment & Development Trust (BEDT) and Begur /Singasandra residents (BBMP Ward 192) for a massive tree plantation drive.
Reliable, useful journalism needs your support.
Over 600 readers have donated over the years, to make articles like this one possible. We need your support to help Citizen Matters sustain and grow. Please do contribute today. Donate now
Date: 22nd June 2014 (Sunday)
Time: 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Venue: Begur Lake entrance next to Lake Point Tower Apartment (Opposite Subhash Nagar Main road), South Bangalore
For any clarifications/assistance, please feel free to call:
Prasad 9845014801, Shaji 94498 14441 (MC Road area), Prashanth Joshi 94482 48163 (Begur area), Kapil 98869 93070, Anuraj 96111 25710.
Confirmation of participation, not essential, but would be appreciated – email Prasad <firstname.lastname@example.org>
About Begur Lake
Alarmed by the way the 134 acre Begur Lake, in South Bangalore, had deteriorated (yes, the brimming water of 2010 was reduced to an arid piece of land in 2013), concerned residents of the lake area got together to save it.
The efforts so far
* Obtained survey maps of 1966 and 2009.
* Met MLA Krishnappa and MP D.K. Suresh to seek support.
* Reached out to Begur locals and received support.
* Formed Begur Environment & Development Trust (BEDT) to organize and formalize the efforts, with 5 trustees (3 from MC Road Apartment Association, 1 from Begur residents and 1 from the Fisherman residents).
* 11th May 2013 – Conducted a massive drive with human chain, lake cleaning and signature campaign, to raise awareness about the lake. More than 500 participated, event covered in media.
* Reached out to media on different occasions for raising awareness about the lake.
* Received support from Dr. Subbu and Dr. Harini Nagendra, renowned environmentalists in assessing the current state of the lake and planning the design for restoration.
* Receiving support from NGO SayTrees.org.
* Coordinating with other Bangalore lake groups for suggestions and support.
* Filed complaint with BDA for the broken fencing along MC Road, also filed a petition on Ichangemycity.com. You can sign the petition here.
* Filed petition to Tahsildar for surveying lake boundary on the NICE end.
There is more to do…
* Tree plantation along the lake periphery (planned on 22nd June 2014) and mini forest near NICE Road
* Reaching out to BDA’s top officials for lake rejuvenation
* Fencing the lake on all sides including repairing existing broken fences
* Construction of park and walkway on lake periphery
* Stopping sewage inflow into lake area
* Construction of islands for bird nesting, planting more trees in the shallow area, desilting,
* Ganesha immersion area, resting benches along walkway and children’s play area in and around lake
* Cleaning up of rajakuluves (major inlets and outlets of the lake)
* Preparation of Detailed Project Plan (DPR) for the lake.
If you would like to support the Save Begur Lake Campaign, your donations/ contributions are critical. For more details on how you can donate/ contribute please call Prasad : 98450-14801/Shaji : 94498-14441 (MC Road area), Prashanth Joshi 94482 48163 (Begur area).
Follow the progress at Begur Lake on the Save Begur Lake facebook page.
Pics and info courtesy Prasad, BEDT.