A group of environmental and social activists are organising the Bellandur Lake Run this Sunday, February 6th at 10 am. This run is a demand from citizens for government action and it is also intended to spread awareness of the situation.
This event is for all of us in Bangalore, our children, our health and well being. We can get back our wonderful lakes, not to mention valuable drinking water for the future.
The current status of the lake: Excessive dumping of sewage without treatment
– 500 MLD of sewage on Bellandur from over 40 wards of Bangalore
– Only 248 MLD treatment capacity on Bellandur and 100 MLD on Varthur. The STPs are not working to capacity and efficiency.
– Lakes are dead (extremely low Dissolved Oxygen)
– Encroachments into Raja Kaluve and lake areas.
This has resulted in
– Silt accumulation in lake beds. (Average depth of Varthur lake is only 1 metre)
– Industrial Pollution – Lead, Cadmium, Chromium.
– Already affected some bore-wells and can contaminate precious ground water for Bangaloreans.
– Severe health consequences for Bangaloreans. Polluted water + concentration of pollutants in down-stream crops grown with this water.
– Foul Odour, Mosquito and disease breeding ground.
– Villagers living around the lake are severely impacted and so are Bangaloreans in general.
Here are the actions that can restore the lake to their original beauty.
– 1st step – Stop on-going pollution of lake with untreated sewage water.
– Install STP’s of sufficient capacity: Extra 300 MLD required for Bellandur lake. Extra 100 MLD required for excess on Varthur lake.
– On-going monitoring of efficacy of STPs and water quality in lakes. Storm water drains and Sewage have mixed in many places.
Lots of technology options including SBT (Soil Bio Technology) developed by IIT Bombay that can offer superior results with less initial and on-going costs.
Various Sewage Treatment Options include Physico chemical treatment, Extended aeration, Activate sludge process, High rate aeration and bilfiltration and Soil Bio Technology. The last option costs the least and has low energy consumption.
Information shared by R Govindarajan, Bellandur Lake Run Organizing Committee.
You can the full story about the Bellandur Lake here.
Note from organisers:
– Please assemble by 9.45 AM and help us start on time.
– We will be starting on the Service road of Outer Ring Road at Pratham Motors (Maruthi showroom). This is exactly opposite Accenture building and diagonally opposite Intel. Please park your vehicles on the service road and away from the direction of the run.
– Feel free to run/walk or just even join us at the starting point if it would be hard for you to complete the run. The objective is to generate awareness of the issues and we are inviting Media for the event. Your creative, colourful banners/posters will help.
– Please bring drinking water, caps etc. and wear comfortable shoes.
– The run ends at the temple near Yamalur village.Please be prepared to walk/run back to ORR after the event. We are trying to arrange a bus but this plan is still in the works. After we finish the run, we will have a brief 5 minute address from Mr. Jagannath and Mr. Rammurthi on the history of this struggle.