Rohini Kini of Bums On The Saddle has created this procedural guidance in case your cycle has been stolen. You need to do some preparatory work, so get the details of your cycle now and keep them safely in case you ever need them.
- Spring into action immediately!
- Check around the area in case the thief has stashed the bike to pick it up later.
- File an FIR with the police (more details below). Record identifying features on the report – accessories, photographs and the frame number!
- Register your bike as stolen on the BOTS Stolen Bike registry.
- Visit shops in your area and request them to keep their eyes open.
- Post up flyers of your stolen bike around the area it was stolen in.
- Share the loss with friends, social media, local bike shops and friends.
- Post about the cycle on local bike forums and alert the cycling community.
- If you have bike insurance, time to reach out to the insurance company.
- Trawl forums where second hand products are sold. Keep an eye on all bicycle sales
Reliable, useful journalism needs your support.
Over 600 readers have donated over the years, to make articles like this one possible. We need your support to help Citizen Matters sustain and grow. Please do contribute today. Donate now