Bangalore Political Action Committee (B.PAC) in association with Rotary Bangalore, Palmville and Gleneagles Global Hospitals today launched the second edition of the My, Place of Pride.
My Place of Pride (MYPOP) is a contest to rate, rank and award the communities that have exhibited best practices in Solid Waste Management, Water conservation, Power management, Fire Safety and Hygiene & Cleanliness. This is a platform for communities to showcase their initiatives, create awareness and further encourage others to emulate the best practices. My Place of Pride is an initiative to recognize eco-friendly communities in Bengaluru city and encourage sharing of best practices and motivate people to adopt sustainable practices.
Mr. Arun Agrwal, Director,Rotary Bangalore Palmville took the audience through the MYPOP 2018 challenge. He gave a recap of the events that transpired in the first edition of MYPOP.
Mrs. Asha Prasanna kumar, District President Rotary appreciated the MYPOP initiative and extended support for the program. Mr Ananda Gundu Rao, Member of B.PAC, while addressing the gathering emphasized on the need for community participation in mitigating Climate Change. During his talk, Mr.Ananda said “We are a democracy, which allows us to raise our voice on civic issues and nature has a pace that accommodates adaption. Climates change induced by humans will change nature’s ability to preserve us. We have to take care not to topple the apple.”
As part of program, a panel discussion on “Role of communities in transforming city’s sustainability landscape” with following Panelists engaged in discussion.
NS Ramakanth, Co-founder SWMRT,
S Vishwanath, Co-founder, Biome Environment solutions
Uday Vijayan, Founder, Beyond Carlton
Pravinjith K P, MD, Eco Paradigm Environment Strategies Ltd
Shobha Raghavan, Saahas Zero Waste
During the moderated panel discussion, panelists touched upon the various aspects of the roles communities must play to ensure natural resources are utilized in a sustainable manner, before it becomes completely irreversible. The panelists emphasized on how the solid waste, water and waste water can be responsibility managed at various levels, homes, communities and at the city level. One of the key points discussed was on the need to engage bulk generators to ensure micro communities are sustainable.
Below is the schedule and steps for participating in the MY Place of Pride 2018:
1. REGISTRATION – To be done at www.myPlaceofPride.com by any member of the community which wishes to participate. (Closes 6th January 2018)
2. SELF DECLARATION – The individual representing the community fills out a self-declaration to ensure that the community meets the minimum interest requirements. (Closes 14th January 2018)
3. RESIDENTS’ POLL- Residents of participating communities self-rate their communities on rating criteria. Survey link will be sent to participating communities. (Closes 14th February 2018)
4. EXPERT WORKSHOPS- Free Expert Workshops conducted by us on Waste Management, Recycling and water management best practices across Bangalore based on participation. Notification will be sent to the participating communities. (January to February 2018)
5. PHYSICAL INSPECTION- Contest organizers perform independent evaluations by experts for the communities that have qualified after residents' poll. Winners will be chosen based on the expert ratings across all criteria. Additionally, Star ratings will be awarded to each community. ( March 2018)
6. AWARDS CEREMONY – Award the communities that have exhibited best practices (April 2018)
Communities from Bengaluru city can submit their application for MYPOP 2018 through https://www.myplaceofpride.com/ website. Application are open till Jan 6, 2018.