The second walkathon in the
series by Save Bangalore Lakes Trust is scheduled to be held in Horamavu in northern Bangalore. (The first walkathon was held at Halanayakanahalli Lake in Jan 2014
In July 2013, this blog carried a post on the status of the two lakes of Horamavu, Jayanthinagar (Horamavu) Kere and Horamavu Agara Kere, which can be read here
. The Save Horamavu Lakes Group has been working rectify the problems faced by the lakes and get them restored.
The present problems include:
* Fencing broken in many places
* Massive encroachment of the lake areas
– A recent post on the groups’ blog
gives a Google Maps view of how the boundary of the Horamavu Agara Lake has changed over time, since 2002
* Dumping of construction waste
* Destroyed Raja kaluves
* Outlet streams blocked, leading to flooding
* Raw sewage discharged into the lakes
* Groundwater/borewell water contaminated
* Foul stench that makes living unbearable
* Usage of the lakes as open toilets
* Breeding ground for dengue and malaria causing mosquitoes.
To learn more about how the lakes of Horamavu were connected, and what you can do to help, do attend the walkathon.
Date: Sunday, February 16, 2014.
Time: 8 am to 11am
South end of Horamavu Agara Lake – the meeting point is shown on the map below, and Google Maps here