I’m so glad to get back to this space after a long hiatus, my excuse being that I was first on holiday and then just recovering from that holiday and settling down back home J. Before I go back to sharing more about my personal gardening experiences and harvests, I wanted to share an event that I am very excited about attending.
The Urban Krishi Mela is being organized in the GKVK campus at Hebbal, as a partnership between the University of Agricultural Sciences (U.A.S.) and Garden City Farmers (GCF) that is the NGO behind the Organic Terrace Gardening group on FB that I keep mentioning.
The event is going to be held over 2 days – the 27th and 28th of October, and will have a ton of things happening such as seminars by experts in the field (paid entry to view these) as well as poster presentations by some and over 100 stalls by various businesses related to gardening and gardening products.
Some of the seminars that I am eagerly looking forward to are:
- Organic urban/terrace gardening by Dr. Viswanath that will be the first to kick off the event after the inauguration is done. It is scheduled for 12 pm on 27th October.
- Domestic composting/vermicomposting by Vani Murthy who’s such a role model for how to convert kitchen and garden waste into black gold. This one is at 1 pm on the 27th.
- Growing media and container farming by Laxminarayan Srinivasaiah who’s an urban farmer who walks the talk. 2:30 pm on the 27th.
On the 28th:
- OTG trends around the world by Ananya, a passionate urban gardener who’s become a good friend ever since we met at an OTG workshop a few years back.
- The very important topic for many beginners – Pest and Disease Management by Dr. Rajendra Hegde from VMSRF Bangalore
- Soil building techniques in Natueco farming by Mr. Deepak Suchde who’s a renowned expert in the field.
- The role of media in promoting organic urban/terrace farming by editor Ms. Meera K from Citizen Matters.
And many more by experts in their areas, all of who have hands-on experience in what they are speaking as well.
It’s going to be a busy two days for me, as I’m volunteering with GCF and will be at the event for most of the time. Hope to see some of you there as well!